THE SYNDROME

ENTERTAINMENT OBSESSION // 2009

Stuff About Lauren...

I'm Lauren. I have two brothers, a crooked spine and I usually read magazines from the back to the front. I don't really know why; it just feels better that way. For a while I thought I'd devote my life to putting things in print (hard news, feature articles, new American fiction) but, about eight years ago, I realized that I've secretly been in love with film all my life. The crooked spine isn't going anywhere. I'm still kinda angry about that.

About the Blog...

I used to be a film critic for a newspaper. I got to immerse myself in entertainment and dissect it for other people. I miss that. Look ... there's other stuff going down on planet Earth that seems a little more life-and-death, but I love film because it taught me how to be a moral human being. Movies were my third parent. So this is why I blog THE SYNDROME.

Some Miracles Crash, Burn



I'm not sure what Spike Lee is thinking right now -- now that he knows his film Miracle at St. Anna made a little under $3.5 million on its opening weekend. (Production budget was approximately $45 million, according to Box Office Mojo.)

Was it the fact that it's another war movie? Was it the fact that the dramatic leads are predominantly young black men? Was it the fact that Lee had a little spat with Clint Eastwood that got blown out of proportion? Was it the fact that we are in a recession and nobody wants to dwell on imaginings of harsh times and a divided America?

Why did Miracle stumble out of the starting blocks?

I have yet to see the film to corroborate the critics' testimonies, but regardless of shaky reviews a Spike Lee joint should do better than 3 mil. His name alone should guarantee $10 million.

I plan on chucking my $12 at Miracle this weekend.

Behind-the-scenes vid below. Check it.

EDIT: Looks like someone took down the video from Brightcove. Boo.

0 comments:

Post a Comment